Should I Hire Someone for Tree Stump Removal?
Do you have a stump on your property that needs to be removed? A large stump in your yard can cause many headaches for homeowners, such as unpleasant aesthetics or safety concerns. If you have a stump that needs removing, you have two potential solutions. The first option, you could choose to rent a stump grinder and attempt the work yourself. The second option is that you hire an experienced tree company to remove the stump for you.
Arbor Man Tree Care has been providing Edmonton with expert tree services for over 20 years. We believe that our customers should fully understand all the options they have to complete a project in their yard. We have put together a guide to help you understand tree stump removal options so you can make the best choice on how to proceed with the project.
Do-it-yourself Tree Stump Removal
Typically, the appeal of a do-it-yourself project is to save time and money. Below are some things to consider before attempting tree stump removal on your own. Stump removal is a difficult job, so do not take it lightly.
- What equipment do I need?: You will need to accurately measure the stump you want removed to ensure that you rent the right-sized unit
- Picking up the equipment: A stump grinder is a large piece of equipment. You will need access to a truck or trailer to pick-up the unit from the rental store. Make sure to have someone with you as the equipment is large and very heavy
- Safe Operation: A stump grinder is a potent tool capable of grinding large stumps in a matter of minutes. Safe operation is paramount as any minor mistake can result in severe injury or death. Make sure you are comfortable operating this equipment before choosing to rent one. Check out this video here to ensure you fully understand this piece of machinery.
- Equipment Concerns: Stump Grinders are expensive. Improper use of a stump grinder can cause severe damage to the equipment for which you will be held responsible. Even hitting a rock that you did not see can cause severe damage. Always be sure to thoroughly inspect the area around your tree stump before operating the equipment.
Is DIY Stump Grinding Worth It?
There are a lot of variables at play when considering whether to hire a professional tree company such as Arbor Man Tree Care to handle your tree stump removal. Here are some reasons why we believe that you should always hire a professional tree service company to handle this type of job.
- Rental Costs: Renting a stump grinder will cost you typically between $100-$150 per day. It will also require a considerable time and effort to pick up the large piece of equipment, set it up, and bring it back. All told, the cost of hiring a professional stump removal company will often be very comparable to renting the unit yourself.
- Safety & Experience: Professional tree companies such as Arbor Man tree care will have experienced, fully trained staff that is familiar with stump grinding equipment. Stump Grinders are immensely powerful tools, and you want to make sure you operate it safely.
- Equipment: Picking up a rented stump grinder requires time and a considerable amount of effort because of how big they are. When you hire Arbor Man Tree Care, they bring the machine to your property. There are zero risks of strain or injury to you from bringing the equipment to the site. Not only that, since the tree company owns the equipment, but you also are not held responsible if anything goes wrong with it or if parts are damaged.
Unlike many DIY projects, stump removal presents many hurdles and safety concerns, as discussed above. Safety aside, renting a stump grinder will not give you significant cost savings when compared to hiring a company such as Arbor Man Tree Care. Before embarking on a stump removal project, we highly recommend you contact Arbor Man to learn your options, or you can call us directly at 780.485.9663!